MOD / Armed Forces
MOD / Armed Forces
Ocean Turtle Diving works with the MOD in a number of key ways;
- We are an Approved Learning Provider in the Enhanced Learning Credits scheme (both ELC and SLC) see below
- We are a Career Transition Partnership Approved Provider
- We have signed the Armed Forces Covenant and offer an Armed Forces Discount of 5%
Level 3 Certificate in Scuba Instruction – Comprehensive Package
Become a PADI Instructor and make the ocean your office. You will learn how to teach the core PADI courses through a combination of eLearning, presentations and a whole host of in-water workshops, followed by a two day PADI Instructor Exam. You will need to be a PADI Divemaster or equivalent to take this course.
If you are not yet certified as a Divemaster, we have (non funded) packages available to get you to this level
Emergency First Response Primary & Secondary Care Instructor
Help create a community of first responders by giving people the confidence to step in and help if an incident were to occur. You will learn how to teach and encourage people to step in and deliver both primary and secondary care first aid. This is a requirement to become a PADI Instructor.
Enhanced Learning Credits
From the Joint Service Publication (JSP) 822
“The MOD promotes lifelong learning among members of the Armed Forces, and this is encouraged through the Learning Credit schemes. The Enhanced Learning Credit (ELC) scheme helps eligible Service personnel (SP) or Leavers (SL) with the cost of learning. The Scheme allows a single awarded in each of a maximum of three separate Financial Years, or a single aggregated lower tier award. ELCs may be claimed for learning which is an integral part, and results in the cost-effective achievement, of a nationally recognised qualification at Level 3 or above. The ELC scheme permits Regular SP to pursue their personal development, both during their Service and generally for 5 years after discharge, subject to the eligibility criteria being met. This Defence Direction explains the rules of the ELC Scheme as it applies to SP. All SP eligible to receive ELC support are required to adhere to this Direction. The rules of the ELC Scheme are based on legislation.”
There are three types of ELC award available;
(1) The Lower Tier level provides funding for up to a maximum of 2 awards or up to £1k per FY. SP or SL must have completed either 4 or more years qualifying service completed before 1 Apr 17, or otherwise 6 or more years qualifying service completed on or after 1 Apr 17.
(2) From 1 Apr 16, a new type of award is available, called an Aggregated Lower Tier award, which provides a single award of up to £3k for SP who have completed 6 or more years qualifying service on or after 1 Apr 16. This type of award may not be taken by SP or SL who previously accessed a Lower Tier award or who qualify for Upper Tier awards.
(3) The Upper Tier level provides funding for up to a maximum of 3 awards of up to £2k per FY. SP or SL must have completed 8 or more years qualifying service.
ELC is not a refund scheme and under no circumstances will MOD refund and Service Personnel or Service Leaver who pays for or commences their learning in advance and subsequently seek a retrospective ELC claim.
Learning Provider’s unique reference number – 4191
Career Transition Partnership
We are proud to be an Approved Provider to the CTP. Scheme members should access our details through the CTP website
The Armed Forces Covenant
The Armed Forces Covenant is a promise by the nation ensuring that those who serve or who have served in the armed forces, and their families, are treated fairly. Ocean Turtle Diving signed in January 2020 to show our committment. We offer all service personnel and ex-service personnel a 5% discount on any purchases made in store and any course bookings. Many of our instructional team are trained in Adaptive Techniques and we have several Veterans in training with us currently.
“Having learnt to dive whilst on holiday in Turkey, I was overjoyed to find out that there was a Dive Centre in Basingstoke. Since then I have gone on to complete all my PADI recreational and professional dive training with Ocean Turtle Diving. I have always found the Staff both knowledgable and willing to help. Their understanding of the ELCAS Route to becoming a PADI pro is beyond reproach and the subsequent training provided at all levels is first rate. I would thoroughly recommend using them to anyone considering making the splash”.
Andy Welham-Jones (Serving RAF)